Job Family: Library, Research&Preservation
Department: Church History Department
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
POSTING NOTICE/MORE INFO.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at .
The Church History Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is looking for an editorial assistant to assist with the Joseph Smith Papers website. This is a unique opportunity to learn about early Church history, work with primary documents, significantly contribute to the project’s research and production processes, and acquire a variety of new skills relating to web publishing. This is a benefited, full-time position that is contingent for one year, with the possibility of extending to two years. The start date for this position is May 2020.
- Comparing transcripts with images of historical manuscripts to ensure accuracy.
- Copyediting and proofreading text.
- Applying project style with a high level of accuracy.
- Applying or correcting XML coding using Oxygen XML Author.
- Fact checking, or analyzing sources to determine whether they have been used appropriately and accurately.
- Performing final content checks prior to web publication.
- Assisting in coordinating transcription process.
- Organizing or compiling in-house research tools to assist project staff.
- Other tasks according to project needs and individual capabilities and interests.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, editing, or a related field.
- Practical experience in copyediting or proofreading.
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience with electronic publishing and markup languages (such as XML or HTML) preferred.
- Ability to learn new software or databases.
- Ability to research in nineteenth-century sources and read historical handwriting.
- Knowledge of early Latter-day Saint history and a familiarity with related sources a plus.
- Must be detail oriented, organized, and able to maintain accuracy while performing repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to manage time effectively and be dependable.
- Must be a critical thinker and have a natural curiosity.