COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER TRAINEE Internship Job2 weeks ago - Administration, Business and Management - Savannah - 84 views
Multiple Positions Available
Communication Officers provide a critical role in the delivery of emergency response services. Chatham County welcomes the opportunity to train you for this important role. If you can answer yes to the following questions, consider applying to join our team. Are you able to exercise good judgment while evaluating situations in a split-second? Can you multi-task multiple channels of communication such as radios, telephones, or computers? Can you gather, prioritize, and disseminate information clearly, accurately, and quickly in urgent situations? Do you have the ability to calm terrified, hysterical, or irate callers?
Job Summary: Under supervision, you will receive training on the proper procedures and techniques for responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service in the Chatham County 911 Communications Services Department. On a typical day you will learn how to answer non-emergency lines and provide information to citizens. Transfer calls to other emergency agencies or non-emergency resources. Question callers to obtain necessary information for relay to field personnel. Attention to detail and effective oral and written communication skills are essential as you enter calls for service into the computer system and update those calls with additional information. You will learn how to use the language line for translations and the Hearing and Voice Impaired System (TTY). Your customer services skills are critical as you maintain composure while responding to citizens’ questions, comments, and concerns in a courteous and timely manner in often stressful situations. As information is shared between co-workers and supervisors you need to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Your duties must be performed with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines, while exercising good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity. You must be able to work up to 12-hour rotating shifts including nights, weekends, holidays, and emergency situations. You will need the flexibility to rotate shifts as required to meet the needs of the department. Other duties may be assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: High School Diploma or GED, and at least three (3) months’ work experience involving customer service, to include some experience dispatching or using a multi-line phone system; or any equivalent combination of experience and training. You must be able to type 30 words per minute and successfully pass CritiCall testing. Testing will be required during the interview process for selected candidates. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of or the ability to learn the geographical layout of the County.
• Obtain P.O.S.T certification required within six (6) months of employment; failure to obtain P.O.S.T certification will result in termination from employment.
• Successfully complete mandatory Records, Emergency Medical, Fire and Law Enforcement Dispatch, EMS/Municipal Fire Dispatch, Call Taker, and Police Dispatch certifications within twelve (12) months of employment.
• Successfully complete the Georgia Crime Information Center CJIS Terminal Operator Training and Certification within a specified time.
• Must not have any felony convictions, pattern of misdemeanor convictions, or repeated traffic violations.
• Verification of education, certification and licenses will be required prior to employment.
• A favorable background investigation, including a supervised drug screen, post-offer/pre-employment medical screen and a criminal history, reference and employment verification.
Note: During emergencies and disasters affecting Chatham County or the 911 Center operation, you will be required to report to work as part of a disaster operations team. This is a safety-sensitive position and subject to random drug testing.
Location : EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS
Posting Start : 09/10/2020
Posting End : 06/30/2021