Engineering Manager - Web Applications Full-time Job1 month ago - Computing and ICT - San Francisco - 8 views
Replica is an enterprise data platform that delivers critical insights about the built environment. With better data, human-context and an intuitive design, Replica helps public and private sectors make informed, effective, and responsive decisions. By showing how people live, move and work, we contextualize hard choices, allowing our clients to see around corners and understand the trade-offs surrounding their decisions. Whether for a city planner increasing public transit to underserved neighborhoods or for a grocery chain evaluating where to open a new location, Replica’s insights lets clients make more informed, people-centered decisions.
We value our customers, believe in being resourceful, and work in service of each other to scale our product. As we build our team, we are committed to pursuing and bringing together a diverse workforce and creating an environment of inclusion. We value our differences and we encourage all to apply. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
We spun out of Alphabet in 2019 and recently secured series B funding from venture firms including Founders Fund, Innovation Endeavors, Sidewalk Labs, Firebrand Ventures, and Revolution’s Rise of the Rest Seed Fund. Today, we are a team of 50 employees with offices in San Francisco, New York and Kansas City.
You will be the engineering manager for our application engineering team, which owns the data visualization web application and the services and storage stack behind it. You will manage a team of talented and passionate full stack engineers and frontend engineers. You will be responsible for the delivery from the existing team as well as growing the team though hiring. You will work with the product management and design teams to deliver key features to support our data visualization tools, the Data Explorer. This requires technical experience with scaling up an engineering team that supports React on the frontend and NodeJS on the backend. The storage layer consists of columnstore (e.g., ClickHouse) and RDMBS (e.g., Postgresql, PostGIS). There are multiple frameworks and visualization libraries that have been integrated into our system. You will manage the team’s execution through defining technical vision, identifying roadblocks and resolving them, planning and retrospectives. You and your team will be responsible for scaling up and improving the efficiency of our engineering development on our data visualization product. You’ll ensure our product scales efficiently, focus on building processes and documentation, and support full stack and frontend engineers’ growth.
This role will be reporting to the head of engineering. The role will work closely with the product management and design teams. The role will be a peer to the data/infra engineering manager.
- Manage a team of fullstack and frontend engineers on the application engineering team.
- Ensure a great, reliable experience for Replica users while simultaneously enabling a rapid pace of development and iterations.
- Work with other engineering leaders to guide and shape the culture and growth of the engineering team at Replica
- Coach engineers in their technical and professional development - set goals for individual growth, have 1:1’s with engineers, coordinate reviews, and deliver performance feedback.
- Work closely with recruiting and other engineering managers to grow the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences and events, and onboarding new employees
- 5 years of experience managing a full stack engineering team.
- BS, MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree.
- Experience with SaaS, data application, or visualization would be a plus
- Tech stack: React, Redux, Node JS, Express JS, Typescript, Mapbox, D3, deck.gl, Python, PostgreSQL, ClickHouse.
What We Value
- We work in the service of others
- We understand that talent + diversity + curiosity + relentlessness wins
- We believe walking > talking
- We operate with thoughtful urgency
- We communicate openly and directly
- We build products people use
- Our people! We work as a team and are excited to contribute to city planning
- Competitive salary based on experience and potential for impact
- Equity at an early stage startup
- Health benefits including medical, dental, vision, FSA and HSA options
- 401k account + employer contribution
- Offices in San Francisco, CA, New York and Kansas City
- Flexible PTO
Replica is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to operate at both a strategic/conceptual level and at a detailed, operational level metrics driven; highly disciplined
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, maturity and good judgment and be capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals
- A hands-on, action-oriented approach that fits well with the entrepreneurial, fast-paced culture
- Engaging leadership style that builds and sustains credibility with colleagues, clients and other stakeholders
- Broad functional experience in areas of strategic planning and marketing, sales and market development and planning
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above, but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
Replica offers public agencies, land developers, and the community at large a complete sense of city movement patterns. The result is a higher confidence in critical transportation and land use decisions. Replica has three distinct advantages:
We create a new Replica every three months allowing comparisons of trip patterns over time and showing how people respond to new infrastructure and policies on the ground.
A more detailed picture
We replicate trip data for every street and transit route, every neighborhood and census tract, every moment of the day.
We calibrate our models against ground-truth data from public agencies to ensure accuracy and precision.