Head of Design & Learning Full-time Job8 months ago - Design, Arts and Crafts - Kigali - 139 views
ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based across four hubs in Kigali, Rwanda, Nairobi, Kenya, Accra, Ghana and Toronto, Canada. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance education and learning in Africa, primarily for young people, and in Canada for Indigenous youth. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercard. Our policies, operations, and funding decisions are made by our President and Board of Directors.
The Foundation believes that youth employment is key to unlocking prosperity, both for youth and their societies. Enabling young women and men from disadvantaged communities to secure dignified and fulfilling work will ensure inclusive development and economic growth in Africa.
Values are timeless, they transcend and rise above all. They guide everything we do, as employees of the Foundation. We share a common vision of a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. We make mistakes, we reflect, and we grow so that we can impact our world – it’s why we are here. We are ambitious and driven. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. If you are an experienced leader in international development ready to build something new and increase your impact, read on!
The Head of Design & Learning is a newly created position at the Foundation with enterprise impact. They will lead one of the three enabling programmatic functions that will serve and be informed by ongoing core program delivery implemented by Regional and Country Heads and the Head of the Scholars Program. The role comes at an exciting time of growth for the Foundation as we implement our new strategy, Young Africa Works, a bold new strategy aimed at addressing youth unemployment in Africa.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Head of Design & Learning supports the design of country strategies, portfolio design and programming innovation, leveraging market-leading technical expertise. They hold primary responsibility for portfolio design, program integration and innovation, institutional learning, employee innovation, and technical expertise. They will work in close collaboration with the Chief Program Officer as well as the Regional and Country Directors, Head of Research, and the wider Program and Foundation team. The Head of Design & Learning will incorporate research-based insights into program design and will ensure continuous learning by assessing the performance and impact of programs and projects, supporting knowledge creation, capture and dissemination. They will drive the optimism for Africa’s future and scalable impact in Mastercard Foundation’s target countries.
- Portfolio Design: Supporting Country, Regional and Scholars teams in country strategy development, portfolio design and program development linked to the Young Africa Works strategy, and enabling nationally tailored portfolio and program development processes. They will do this by:
- Providing depth of expertise in strategy development and program design;
- Championing robust implementation of the Foundation’s comprehensive programming approach, ensuring consistent application and quality assurance;
- Facilitating co-design workshops and supporting Programs teams with technical expertise for country strategy and program design; and
- Leveraging data, diagnostics, and expertise for country strategy and program development.
- Program Integration & Innovation: Leading and facilitating program integration and innovation across the Foundation, supporting teams in adopting and leveraging best practice. They will do this by:
- Linking activities across Country, Regional and Scholars programs, and across countries where relevant;
- Identifying new impact opportunities across countries and supporting Country, Regional and Scholars teams in actioning them; and
- Piloting new programming ideas and collaboration models.
- Learning: Supporting Country, Regional and Scholars teams to regularly collect and collate learnings from program implementation. Other activities include:
- Facilitating formal learning sessions with Programs teams and partners; and
- Synthesizing, socializing, and integrating learning from across country programming in collaboration with Research and Impact teams.
- Employee Innovation: Developing mechanisms to encourage ideation and innovation from Foundation colleagues in collaboration with Country Heads. They will do this by:
- Managing and implementing the Employee Innovation Fund (c. $2 million per year); and
- Collaborating with teams to identify innovations to scale up.
- Expertise: Ensuring that teams have access to leading technical expertise in Youth Employment, MSMEs, Gender, Education, and priority sectors, including Agriculture, Creative Industries, and Digital Technology. Building communities of practice internally and externally across such key areas of interest to programming.
This role will exemplify and promote the Foundation’s values and culture, which is highly collaborative, promotes listening and learning, and focuses on results. The Head of Design & Learning will also build and lead an exceptional Design & Learning team (approximately 10 team members), ensuring high quality of work and alignment with Foundation values. They will bring strong leadership and people development to the team, offering access to development opportunities and a supportive and collaborative work environment.
This role will be based, ideally, in Kigali, Rwanda with international travel required.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we highlight the following:
- Support the design of all Country strategies and portfolios, guiding delivery and Mastercard Foundation to its 2030 goal of seeing 30 million young Africans, particularly women, have dignified and fulfilling work. This entails broad consultation with key stakeholders and in-depth understanding of the drivers of economic growth and employment, and sectors that offer the greatest opportunities for young people, tailored to local country requirements.
- Establish and align metrics for all programs and develop and implement processes to collect and collate learnings from program implementation. This will require close working relationship with programmatic and country leadership to assess impact, capture learning and share results with peers across the Foundation and with stakeholders in countries of operation.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with technical communities of practice to ensure the Foundation has access to, and leverages effectively, relevant technical expertise.
- Catalyze innovation and build and share evidence to influence and mobilize others.
- Build and lead a team and support their performance. This includes coaching and professional development of staff, while holding people accountable and recognizing achievements. Develop, build and maintain relationships with the team across Africa and in the Toronto office for stronger collaboration and to ensure overall success.
- Represent the Foundation at relevant events.
WHO YOU ARE
- You have 15+ years of experience of increasingly senior management experience working in Africa for a global or regional organization in international development and/or the private sector. Experience across sectors is preferred.
- You hold Master’s/MBA in global development, education, public policy or another related field.
- Strong leadership experience in international relations, education, development and/or government or public policy within non-profit organizations, international NGO’s and/or learning institutions.
- Significant experience working with and leading practice leads and content specialists.
- Expertise in working with development, political and social issues across Africa.
- Excellent strategic planning skills with the ability to merge technical and operational demands of the Global and Country programs into a cohesive structure.
- Proven ability to think in a strategic, transformative way, able to co-design initiatives/processes that will drive large scale change.
- Proven experience effectively engaging with technical experts to build communities of practice. Ability to effectively develop and manage mutually beneficial relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels, garnering enthusiasm and energy around Young Africa Works.
- Demonstrated success in building and managing high performing teams with proven success.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and relate to a board range of internal stakeholders, including other senior team members, staff, and board members.
- Client service mindset, always seeking ways to create impact for program teams. Commitment to the value of co-creation, employing deep listening and authentically inclusive approach.
- Energetic, independent and self-motivated individual with a solution-based approach while demonstrating innovation, integrity, quality, creativity, flexibility and resilience.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial individual who can develop new or creative approaches to problems while inspiring others on the team. Drive to continually experiment and innovate, building and leveraging best-in-class expertise and learnings.
- Fluency in other languages relevant to the work; French would be desirable.
- Ability to travel across Africa and internationally (30-40%).
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
Mastercard Foundation is working with Russell Reynolds on this role. Please email your resume along with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to indicating “1912-009L Head of Design & Learning " in the subject line of your email. All applications will be acknowledged.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references, background checks, and proof of education are essential conditions of employment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please advise Russell Reynolds in your email. The Mastercard Foundation will work with you to provide a positive recruitment experience in a confidential manner.