Research Scientist - Privacy Full-time Job1 week ago - Administration, Business and Management - Los Angeles - 55 views
san francisco, los angeles, overland park, chicago, new york
Replica is an enterprise data platform that delivers critical insights about the built environment. With better data, human context, and an intuitive design, Replica helps public and private sector actors make informed, effective, and responsive decisions. By showing how people live, move and work, we contextualize hard choices, allowing our clients to see around corners and understand the trade-offs surrounding their decisions. Whether for a city planner increasing public transit to underserved neighborhoods or for a grocery chain evaluating where to open a new location, Replica’s insights let clients make more informed, people-centered decisions.
We spun out of Alphabet in 2019 and recently secured series B funding from venture firms including Founders Fund, Innovation Endeavors, Sidewalk Labs, Firebrand Ventures, and Revolution’s Rise of the Rest Seed Fund. Today, we are a team of 50 employees with offices in San Francisco, New York and Kansas City.
We value our customers, believe in being resourceful, and work in service of each other to scale our product. As we build our team, we are committed to pursuing and bringing together a diverse workforce and creating an environment of inclusion. We value our differences and we encourage all to apply. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
We’re looking for a Research Scientist with experience designing and implementing privacy algorithms within secure distributed data processing and modeling pipelines. You will be a part of the R&D team responsible for developing privacy-first urban mobility models that capture behavioral choices of city dwellers. Our goal is to eliminate the perceived tradeoffs between privacy and value. To do so, we treat privacy as a first-order concern at every stage of our process and build privacy features as core capabilities in our platform.
Research Scientist will report to the head of R&D, working closely with Engineering and serving as a primary point of contact for Data Management and Procurement and Product teams in all technical aspects of privacy.
- Within your first month, you will build a deep understanding of Replica’s data protection and location privacy principles, technology infrastructure, modeling approaches, coding style and standards.
- By the end of month 3, you will be contributing to the implementation of a range of data processing algorithms, enforcing responsible data usage, modeling accuracy, performance and scalability.
- By the end of month 6, you will have significantly contributed to our model estimation and calibration framework, proposed significant novel approaches and scalable implementations to strengthen our protection against re-identification, membership inclusion, and location inference attacks.
- By the end of year 1, your work will include engaging with independent experts in privacy law, policy, and ethics enabling new applications and novel responsible use cases of data in urban planning.
- A graduate degree (MS or PhD) in operations research, computer science, computational math or other relevant field and 3+ years of experience in professional practice.
- Hands-on knowledge of privacy methodologies: you know how to apply differential privacy to a single dataset and are familiar with composition theorems. You understand the nuances of federated machine learning and closely follow recent developments in the field.
- You are highly skilled in software development and an expert in applied math, statistics, and optimization tools in the Python ecosystem (numpy/scipy/pandas).
- Have strong collaboration and communication skills, are capable of explaining complex models to the experts in privacy law, policy, and ethics, as well as a wide audience.
- Care about the future of cities, and our team’s success in radically improving the quality of urban life.
What We Value
- We work in the service of others
- We understand that talent + diversity + curiosity + relentlessness wins
- We believe walking > talking
- We operate with thoughtful urgency
- We communicate openly and directly
- We build products people use
- Our people! We work as a team and are excited to contribute to city planning
- Competitive salary based on experience and potential for impact
- Equity at an early stage startup
- Health benefits including medical, dental, vision, FSA and HSA options
- 401k account + employer contribution
- Offices in San Francisco, CA, New York and Kansas City
- Flexible PTO
Replica is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to operate at both a strategic/conceptual level and at a detailed, operational level metrics driven; highly disciplined
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, maturity and good judgment and be capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals
- A hands-on, action-oriented approach that fits well with the entrepreneurial, fast-paced culture
- Engaging leadership style that builds and sustains credibility with colleagues, clients and other stakeholders
- Broad functional experience in areas of strategic planning and marketing, sales and market development and planning
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above, but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
Replica offers public agencies, land developers, and the community at large a complete sense of city movement patterns. The result is a higher confidence in critical transportation and land use decisions. Replica has three distinct advantages:
We create a new Replica every three months allowing comparisons of trip patterns over time and showing how people respond to new infrastructure and policies on the ground.
A more detailed picture
We replicate trip data for every street and transit route, every neighborhood and census tract, every moment of the day.
We calibrate our models against ground-truth data from public agencies to ensure accuracy and precision.