Software Development Manager Full-time Job1 month ago - Computing and ICT - Seattle - 281 views
Prime Video is a premium entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choices in what to watch, and how to watch it. PV delivers movies and TV shows instantly to TVs, tablets, game consoles and PCs worldwide. This is a young and evolving business within Amazon where creativity and drive can have a lasting impact on the way video is enjoyed worldwide. You will be encouraged to see the big picture, be creative, and positively impact millions of customers. We’re building the future of TV—yes, it’s challenging, but it’s also a lot of fun!
A day in the life
On a typical day, you may:
· Work closely with product managers, TPMs and other teams in Prime Video to plan development activities for your team
· Run daily agile activities to drive your team to deliver results
· Have 1:1s with your direct reports to drive their career progression
· Learn and use cutting-edge AWS technologies
· Oversee code quality for your team (testing, deployments, operational readiness)
· Eliminate blockers and ambiguity so team can execute on their tasks
About the hiring group
Prime Video Search is responsible for developing structured video search systems that understand the intent of search query accurately, utilize rich metadata sets, and consistently display relevant search results to millions of Prime Video customers across all Prime Video surfaces (e.g. iOS, Android, PS4, TV Apps, Retail Web). We're a high energy, fast growth business excited to have the opportunity to shape new ways for search to reach their audiences. We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help continue to expand our space and enhance the search experience.
We seek a Software Development Manager to grow and develop a team of passionate engineers in building the next generation natural language processing model and search platform for Prime Video. This team is responsible for defining, designing, and building systems that enhance the search experience to ease the discovery of our content for worldwide audiences (200+ countries!).
The ideal candidate will be passionate about simple and elegant software solutions, customer-centric products, and utilizing agile development processes. You will look at problems holistically, beyond the borders of your team, and thrive on solutions that require thinking at multiple levels. You will be the core driver of search from an engineering standpoint and will be coordinating cross-org meetings, field difficult questions, and create positive collaborative outcomes. You evaluate research and write documents for executive audiences. You ensure solutions are reliable, scalable, and secure.
What you'll do:
· Manage and grow a team of software engineers and direct their projects, performance, and career growth.
· Clearly communicate project roadmaps with your team, management, and principal stakeholders
· Work with Product and Engineers to determine scope and estimate development effort
· Lead systems design, architecture, and scaling discussions
· Have fun and make history!
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit .
· 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, Math, Statistics or related field
· Experience leading software engineering teams with 7+ people
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills, along with ability to explain complex technical concepts and analysis implications clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
· Masters or PhD in Math, Statistics, Computer Science or a related field
· Demonstrated track record of cultivating strong working relationships and driving collaboration across multiple technical and business teams
· Deep hands-on technical expertise
· Strong business and technical vision
· A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
· Experience with high volume, low-latency architectures
· Experience building large-scale web services backed by cloud services, such as AWS
Together, Amazonians research and develop new technologies from Amazon Web Services to Alexa on behalf of our customers: shoppers, sellers, content creators, and developers around the world.