US Digital Manager Full-time Job1 year ago - Print and Publishing, Marketing and Advertising - Washington Heights - 582 views
Priority locations for this position including the states: CT, DC, GA, MA, ME, MD, NC, NJ, NY PA, VA, VT, WA, WI. Applications will also be considered from the states: CA and UT
350.org is looking for an experienced, skilled and strategic U.S. Digital Manager. The U.S. Digital Manager will serve on the US Leadership Team and be responsible to the Digital team, and work closely with national Digital Engagement and Digital Organizing teams to drive bold, effective multi-platform digital campaigns. This includes developing and implementing digital strategy across all key US campaigns, engaging in key mobilizations, and collaborating with 350.org staff and partners on online-to-offline organizing and mobilization strategy.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We are committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We strive to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to stop the fossil fuel industry from destroying our climate. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
In the US, 350 fights for a just and equitable world by stopping the fossil fuel industry from continuing to destroy our climate. We do this by building a powerful multiracial movement to confront and isolate the fossil fuel industry.
About the US Digital Manager
We’re looking for an experienced manager and team leader willing to roll up their sleeves to support a growing team. We need a creative, driven, flexible, and self motivated digital leader to drive bold, cutting edge digital campaigns in the United States with an eye towards longevity and building long-term grassroots power.
We’re looking for someone who is mid career leader that thrives on a team but can delegate, train, and support staff that work independently and remotely; is comfortable using leading digital tactics and tools to organize communities; able to keep up with the fast pace of rapid-response campaigning; has some understanding of the climate crisis and US politics; is excited to work in coalitions with a diverse range of partners; is an excellent writer with acute attention to detail; has advanced technical skills, is a quick learner, and is able to think outside the box and craft compelling content under short time-frames.
And finally, we’re looking for someone who is committed to building a better world, and with the talent and heart to deliver.
Is that you?
Oversee the development, implementation, and management of digital campaigns to be built alongside partners outside of the traditional climate movement. This role will ensure we are meeting our goals to stop the fossil fuel industry from continuing to destroy our climate and communities while being in online and offline communities and relationships with groups who are working towards social justice in other movements.
Managing the development, relationship building, and workflow of the U.S. Digital Team. Implementing cutting edge digital tactics, skilling up digital campaigners, and establishing a clear and effective digital process to be utilized across departments. Building and developing trackable goals and metrics that help build towards our organizational goals at the same time as strengthening our work in communities outside the traditional climate movement.
Responsibilities in detail:
Ensure effective coordination within the US program team and the region.
- Represents the US Digital Capacity on the US Leadership Team; acts as a liaison to the regional team and leadership.
- Ensures smooth communication and coordination across departments around digital campaigns.
- Supports digital campaigners, and other members of the team to deliver on the goals and metrics of the campaign.
- Develops annual work plans with the U.S. Digital Team
- Manages the operations of the digital team, including weekly meetings and quarterly goal review and annual evaluation.
- Works with the US leadership team and other members of leadership in the organization to build support and capacity for this work.
- Develops reporting mechanisms in support of all of the above.
- Helps the digital team including vendors and volunteers as necessary to operate as effectively as possible.
- Helps to build and reinforce a strong culture of rigor, innovation, transparency, and positive engagement.
- Develop digital strategies and implement campaign plans to help 350 and partners to dismantle the pillars of support for the fossil fuel industry
- Craft and oversee crafting of compelling emails for cross team campaign priorities, produce organic social media content, design graphics and memes, and develop other online content to help achieve high level campaign goals to shift public narratives about climate change and climate justice, and shine a light on inspiring stories from the climate movement — particularly impacted community voices.
- Drive online audiences to take offline action and support 350.org’s mobilization efforts with strategic digital recruitment
- Track and analyze digital metrics to measure success and identify key lessons from campaigns and projects — and use those metrics to share learnings and recommendations with digital and non-digital campaigners alike to help teams strengthen future work
- Identify, cultivate relationships with, and/or collaborate with partner organizations and coalitions on projects and campaigns
- Continually identify and implement new digital tools and platforms, and/or innovative uses of existing tools, to strategically strengthen 350’s tech toolkit in order to help us continue to effectively build the climate movement and win campaigns
- Consistently integrate a deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects
- Provide on-the-ground digital coverage and amplification for key campaign actions or mobilizations, particularly rapid-response actions in DC as needed. Some travel will be required for this coverage.
- Ensures that we have strong performance management systems throughout the team, and supports staff in coaching, retention of high performers, and when needed, develops recommendations for termination of staff members.
- Other duties as assigned
Strong relationship building and vision for long term partnership across social justice movements.
- Supports established processes for partner consultation and strategy building across many organizations and movements.
- Develops strong relationships with other organizations, influencers, and key members to ensure the goals of the campaign can move forward.
- Moves forward goals of the campaign through close collaboration with a number of partner organizations.
Liaison to the US Leadership Team on all of the above.
- Works closely and in coordination with the US Leadership Team to convey the capacity, needs, and requirements of the digi team.
- Helps to coordinate different projects within the digital department so all work is complementary.
- Over 5+ years in digital campaigning or organizing
- 3-5 years in management level supervisory roles
- Minimum 3 years using key tools employed by the 350.org digital team, including ActionKit, Action Network, WordPress, mass and peer-to-peer SMS tools, social media platforms, and digital advertising — and willingness and ability to quickly learn how to use new tools and techniques
- Identify, implement and integrate new and existing digital tools and platforms, and/or innovative uses of existing tools, to help us continue to effectively build the climate movement and win campaigns
- Laser like attention to detail
- Cultural competency and emotional intelligence
- Ability to build and maintain complex relationships
- Knowledge, experience or capacity for matrix management of staff and volunteers organizers and related movement dynamics
- Clear understanding of climate science
- Clear understanding of movements for racial and environmental justice
- Experience creating and sustaining coalitions of varying capacities
- Experience managing complex partner dynamics
- Talent communicating with wide ranging stakeholders
- A deep understanding of and commitment to diversity, racial equity and inclusion
- The ability to manage across difference and support a team of diverse staff from different backgrounds and experiences
- Alignment with 350.org’s vision, mission and progressive values
- Understanding of US climate policy
- Experience with action organizing;
- Experience working with high profile influencers;
- Experience managing budgets.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have great relationships with many different people within progressive movements for justice.
- Have the ability to hold complexity and move it into clear goals, metrics, and timelines.
- Have the ability to run meetings effectively (like a JEDI);
- Have a positive attitude towards the work;
- Have the ability to develop collegial working relationships with various teams, campaigners, and organizers;
- Have a long term track record for developing campaigns, projects, and initiatives with equity as a non negotiable outcome.
Reporting to: North America Director
Position Type: Full time
Location: Priority locations for this position including the states: CT, DC, GA, MA, ME, MD, NC, NJ, NY PA, VA, VT, WA, WI. Applications will also be considered from the states: CA and UT
Application Deadline: This job is open until filled, or the hiring manager determines that they can no longer accept applications.
If you have suggestions for us on how to do this better, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.