Wildlife Biologist (Environmental Professional 2) Full-time Job2 months ago - Administration, Business and Management - Los Alamos - 197 views
What You Will Do
Apply your experience in biology and regulatory compliance to support Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Biological Resources Program. You will collaborate with other biologists to fulfill requirements related to federally-listed threatened or endangered species, migratory birds, and other sensitive species, along with wetlands and floodplains. This includes performing impact analyses and writing compliance documents as well as conducting fieldwork across the Laboratory’s approximately 40 square miles. You will analyze project data, develop study designs for wildlife monitoring, plan environmental restoration projects, and manage their implementation. As a part of the Environmental Protection and Compliance Division, Environmental Stewardship Group, you will work with other environmental professionals to enable the Laboratory’s broader mission of solving national security challenges through simultaneous excellence.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Full understanding of and experience with environmental protection regulations, policies, and procedures, especially section 7 consultation under the Endangered Species Act.
- Experience with planning, conducting and managing field research, such as developing study designs, ability to follow protocols and procedures, and data management.
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience preparing reports, publications, and proposals.
- Natural inclination to collaborate in a team setting, juggle multiple projects under limited direction, provide customer service, and communicate well through verbal and written communication.
Either federally permitted for or have the ability to be federally permitted for surveys for the following threatened and endangered species: Mexican Spotted Owl, Southwestern Willow Flycatcher, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, and Jemez Mountains Salamander.
Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in biology, ecology, environmental science, or related field and 5 years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation.
- Master’s degree in biology, ecology, environmental science, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated proficiency with identifying birds visually and by ear; ability to determine age and sex of songbirds in the hand.
- Demonstrated experience with biological/ecological data management, analysis, and interpretation.
- Demonstrated experience working with federal or state regulators regarding sensitive species.
Note To Applicants
- Along with your resume, please include a detailed cover letter explaining how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired qualifications. A writing sample is preferred, but not required.
- This position does not require extensive travel.
- This job posting will close by close of business on April 16, 2021.
Location: This position will be physically located in Los Alamos, NM .
Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is 1 year .
Where You Will Work
Our Generous Benefits Package Includes
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security.
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2 . Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter.
- Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such accommodation, please send an email to or call option 1.
Salary: 77300 - 126000
- Defense & Space
- Information Technology